- Change of management – advising on strategies to implement organisational redesign. This includes the management of consultation requirements, the transfer of business employment considerations and the development of communication plans.
- Risk and compliance management – we’ll work with you to proactively put systems in place before pricey violations can occur.
- Modern Award analysis and wage calculations.
- Performance management, terminations and redundancies.
- Managing misconduct, discrimination and bullying.
- Managing workplace restructure.
- Implementing HR strategies – ensuring procedural fairness is protected each step of the way.
- Managing flexible workplace arrangement requests.
- Setting up compliant contractor arrangements to avoid claims for sham contracting.
- Leave management for situations including ill or injured employees, parental leave requests, or workplace compensation leave.
- Post-employment restraints.
We understand that every employment relationship is different, but having to redraft a contract each time a relationship begins is costly and time-consuming. We will customise a Contract Package to your business needs so that you have an adjustable set of templates which can be applied to most scenarios. As needed, we can build additional elements into this contract template, including Modern Award analysis, Individual Flexibility Agreements, and commission structures.
We can also create policy documents as needed, tailored to your business and prioritising your major concerns regarding staff conduct and administrative processes.
We are also experienced in drafting enterprise agreements, assisting with enterprise agreement bargaining processes and communicating with union representatives on behalf of the employer.
We’ll focus on the claims and negotiations so you can focus on the business. We are experts in our field but you won’t often see our names in cases or the press. Our success is evident in the closely held secrets of organisations who have avoided all the drama through implementing elegant solutions to big problems.
Representation we are frequently engaged in includes:
- Unfair dismissal
- General protections
- Contract disputes
- Discrimination, harassment and bullying claims
- Industrial action and bargaining disputes
- Representation in Fair Work Ombudsman investigations
DKL aims to empower employees to do good work, and this means not just helping clients when problems arise, but providing education about employment law issues and taking a pre-emptive, culture-building approach to a good workplace.
DKL can provide behavioural and leadership coaching for senior management positions and implement strategies to promote awareness of Equal Employment Opportunity, discrimination and bullying to prevent negative situations from arising.
We can also provide training and assistance to HR staff if ever they need legal input on a complex issue.
SELECTED EXPERIENCE BANK
- Lead negotiations on behalf of our client, a well-known construction company, against a major union to dispute the approval of an enterprise agreement.
- We were able to assist an employer who had mistakenly underpaid an employee on a systematic basis to avoid litigation and prosecution by the Ombudsman.
- Created extensive consultation guidelines for a major retail chain who were undergoing a company-wide restructure affecting more than 300 staff.
- Gave short and sharp advice to a serial entrepreneur about employment-risk arising from various ideas.
- Guided an employer through various obligations arising in a potential liquidity crisis.
- Negotiated with a major union during the term of an enterprise agreement to alter expensive terms and conditions for employees due to a cash-flow crisis.
- Provided ongoing, as needed, advice across all employment law related issues for a range of clients, including an internationally recognized luxury hospitality brand, a major outsourced maintenance organisation, a funds management company, film production companies and advertising agencies – just to name a few.
- Designed an alternative overtime and penalty rate scheme, in consultation with employees, without the need for a full enterprise agreement process.